Seventy x Seven

70 x 7.
Seventy times seven.
This is how many times I am supposed to forgive someone.
I can never forgive someone too many times.
Because my Savior forgives me an infinate number of times.
For an infinate number of sins.
Thankfully, my best friend reminded me of this yesterday.
(Though my Bible says "seventy seven times" with a footnote as "Or seventy times seven", I like to think of it as 70x7... it's a much bigger number than 77. Matthew 18:21-22.)


But what does it mean to actually 100% FORGIVE someone??

forgive (verb)
     1. to grant pardon for or remission of (an offense, debt, etc.); absolve.
     2. to give up all claim on account of; remit (a debt, obligation, etc.).
     3. to grant pardon to (a person).
     4. to cease to feel resentment against: to forgive one's enemies.

forgiveness (noun)
     1. the act of forgiving; state of being forgiven
     2. disposition or willingness to forgive

I guess that my issue is my pride (imagine that!). I do not actually posess the willingness to forgive some people, though I think that I am more than willing or have already forgiven.  To cease to feel resentment against. Ick. Guess that means if I still resent someone or the things that they did, I haven't truely forgiven them.

I AM SUCH A MESS.
I have so much to learn. So much to get over.
Thankfully, my Lord will guide me the whole way. Whether I want him to or not. ;)

Comments

  1. Nicole -

    I have always felt that the ability and willingness to forgive is just as much a gift to yourself as it is to the person you are forgiving. The amount of hurt, pain and stress that you carry around is probably more painful to you than the person you have not forgiven.

    Lifting up your heart and asking God for an open heart to forgive a wrong against you takes courage and strength. But I have never known you to to be short in those areas. I have also never known forgiveness to not be rewarded.

    You're not a mess. You are an amazing young woman with so much life ahead of you. So much to learn and so much to experience. The old saying, "With experience comes wisdom" may sound like a cliche but it's also very true.

    Try not to be so hard on yourself. :) Love you!

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment