An Overdue Update (via Instagram)

Yeesh, it has been far too long! Life got all sorts of crazy in no time flat, that's for sure. On top of my online World Literature class (that I totally ROCKED, by the way) and that whole moving thing, life just happened.

The hubby's car was broken into a week before we moved - for the fourth time. Yep, the same car has been broken into or stolen FOUR times, all in different locations. This time was different, though. I think they tried to hotwire the car, failed, and stole what they could. Lucky for us, Patrick doesn't leave much in the car anymore - he had to learn the hard way, unfortunately. It is now sitting in the driveway of his parents' house, guts hanging out and all.

During the last week of my class, we moved. And my new spare bedroom looked like this.

Of course, we moved the week before/of the 4th of July. Again.
Unpacking came to a screeching halt, because the cabin at the lake was calling! We go every year with the inlaws - a tradition that I love.

We went into the closest town one day and visited the local antique store. There were tons of fabulous things that I wanted to take home, but I came home with one AMAZING steal of a deal.
An antique postal scale for (get this) $8.75!!

After the trip, it has been all about unpacking and living on a non-existant budget. That means lots of cooking with what you have on hand!
Including this AMAZINGLY delicious recipe, found at The Larson Lingo (I was able to find it because of the blessed invention called Pinterest).

I'll do a blog post eventually about the incredible meals I made from these leftovers.
I also made my first-ever macaroni and cheese from scratch, without a recipe! I used the leftovers to make a super duper yummy bake a few days later. I'll blog it the next time I make it. :)

This past weekend, we drove to Arkansas for a family birthday/mini family reunion. Patrick and I are cheap poor, so we decided to venture out into the heat and camp instead of stay at a hotel! It was the first time that we had been camping together and it was a total success. We already had most of the basics and borrowed what we didn't own ourselves.

That tent is 13' x 10'. Quite comfortable for two people. ;)

(A decomposing leaf. Amazing.)

(That frog was inbetween the size of a nickel and a dime - teeny tiny!)

Last year, we had taken a trip to the same area of Arkansas with the other side of my family. We went to the Pea Ridge National Military Park (aka battlefield) last year as well. Their air conditioning was out at the time, so we were able to make the drive through the park for free. This year, Patrick and I wanted to see the museum and take the tour again. I am SO glad we were able to go both times, because it was the only way we would have covered every aspect of Pea Ridge. This time, there was an epic thunderstorm in the midle of our self-guided tour! It was incredible, but we missed getting to go through the Elkhorn Tavern this time around because of the downpour.

It provided for some incredible iphone pictures, though.

And this week, my largest task is this dang mantle.
It is covered in this ugly paint (or was). My task is nearly complete, and next I will sand and stain it!
Here is how it looked a couple of weeks ago.

And I haven't forgotten about the second part of my last post. It will come! Once I get my act together. ;)

OH! P.S.!!
My incredible siblings-in-law have started their very own blog!
Jonathan and Rachel do awesome and unique furniture rennovation and have started posting about them. Hope on over and give them some love!

P.S.S. - Thanks, Instagram. Without you, I would have no update.