Whole Wheat Waffles with Oats

Question: If you could have any homemade treat for breakfast tomorrow, what would it be?

I'm going to put my money on the assumption that 99% of you didn't think of my new favorite breakfast:

...whole wheat waffles with oats...

Anyone?

Yeah... didn't think so.  But boy, let me tell you, I have found the most magnificent recipe for whole wheat waffles that has ever existed. Okay, so maybe I have only tried this one recipe, but by golly it's a good one - and it's easy to boot!  Thanks to my best friend, Pinterest, I found the delectable recipe at Lauren's Latest a couple of Friday nights ago and was able to try it out the next morning.  Here it is, two Friday nights later and I am still dreaming of making these beauties in the morning. Hooray!

If you want to pop on over to see the original recipe, follow the link to Lauren's blog above.  The following recipe is slightly adapted, ommiting one ingredient, swapping sugars, and doubling the batch (I'm glad that I doubled the batch right off the bat - I was able to freeze them so Patrick and I ate on them during the week!).




Whole Wheat Waffles with Oats
Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup turbinado sugar (aka Sugar in the Raw)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil (I used sunflower oil)
1 3/4 cups milk

Directions:
Add dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon) into a large mixing bowl; stir gently to combine.  Add wet ingredients (vanilla, eggs, oil, milk) to the dry mixture, gently mixing until well blended.  Pour onto a preheated and greased waffle iron.  Serve hot with anything that fits your fancy!

And there you have it - a healthy, delicious, and EASY homemade breakfast from scratch. Yummo.

These waffles are a bit more dense than regular white flour waffles, but neither Patrick nor myself can eat more than 1 1/2 waffles before we're stuffed to the brim, and we're full until lunch!  If I'm making extra, I let the extra hot waffles cool on a cookie cooling rack before putting them into a freezer storage bag.

TIP for re-heating frozen waffles: I like my waffles crispy so I zap them in the microwave for about 20 seconds to un-freeze them, then stick them in the toaster until I consider them done. I say them... I really mean it, as in a single waffle, because that's all I eat - that single waffle is dang filling.

(I will go ahead and fill you in on the fact that we have made these waffles twice and I have whipped up bags of the dry ingredients pre-mixed to make it even easier on myself. Brilliant, I know.)

If you decide to try these out or have any fabulous ideas on how to spice up the recipe, be sure to let me know!

P.s. - In case you were wondering, I changed the name of my blog from Suddenly I See to Another Womack.  I started this blog a few years ago and just really felt as though it needed a name change.  Also, it matched the http address.  So there you have it.

P.s.s. - I was a dummy the first time that I made these and used baking soda instead of powder, hence the swap in the picture. It really didn't make a big difference, but it is what it is!

Linking up here:
Be Different Act Normal
The Shabby Nest
Liz Marie Blog
Hope Studios
A Diamond in the Stuff
Lil Luna

Comments