DIY Williams Sonoma Home Fragrance

It's a fact: old houses have a sort of "funk" about them.

Another fact: my duplex is old. We also have trashy neighbors (don't get me started) that smoke.

Old house funk + smokey draft that wafts in = an especially funky smelly home. Ugh.

I am especially worried any time someone comes over that The Funk is in full force. Of course, living at my house, I am slightly accustomed to The Funk, so I take multiple steps to try to cover up/get rid of any lingering stink.

I found this blog post (via Pinterest) that offered a fabulous, super easy stovetop simmer that was supposed to make my house smell awesome all day long. Say what? And guess what. It was only four ingredients! Lemon, rosemary, vanilla, and water.  Five ingredients if you include the pot.  Six if you include the stovetop.  I'm getting carried away, here...
 


Directions:
Fill a small stock pot about 2/3 full. Cut one lemon into slices, disposing of the ends, and add to the pot. Add a few sprigs of rosemary, as well as 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla. Bring the water to a simmer and let it simmer all day long, adding water when necessary (you don't want your pot to burn, nor your house).

I would like to go on record and say that this Williams Sonoma-ish simmer is all that it claims to be and more. However, there is a problem. My house almost always has The Funk as far as I am concerned - I have a rosemary plant (two, actually), so that is no problem, but I definitely don't always have fresh lemons on hand.

Well, I figured out the solution to my problem. Because I am a genius... clearly.

I had purchased some lemons the other day in preparation for this very recipe; however, I didn't realize at the time that I really didn't have plans for anyone to come over any time soon. Hmm. What to do with the lemons? They won't keep forever. Brilliance then struck - DUH. I will just slice up the lemons and freeze them, that way I have them ready to go whenever I need to make the simmer to get rid of The Funk! All I had to do was slice them up and stick them in the freezer on a cookie sheet.




And then I had another idea: freeze some of my rosemary for the very same purpose! I just had to go snip the rosemary and cut it into small enough sizes that would fit into muffin pan cups. Why? Because I was going to fill them with water to make them ice cubes.




That way, when the time to get rid of The Funk comes, I just need to pop some of the rosemary cubes into the pot!  Hallelujah.

Linking up here:
The Shabby Nest
Liz Marie Blog
Be Different Act Normal
Hope Studios
A Diamond in the Stuff
Lil Luna

Comments

  1. I am so thrilled to have found these ideas - especially the freezing of the rosemary. I too always think we are living in "The Funk" -Thanks for sharing your genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understand the funk smell. That is putting it lightly! I too, live in a 12 unit complex with smoke a nearby dumpster. I love your fabulous ideas of freezing ahead of time. Awesome! Looking up though, I am moving in 30 days to a nicer place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even easier...freeze the rosemary, lemons slices, vanilla and water in silicon muffin molds all together. Then just pop out what you need. I find putting them in a small crockpot works great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freezing the rosemary and lemon??? You seriously just might be a genius, for sure! Freezing them all together in a "pod"might be even better! My "funk" is my awesome but stinky 100+ pound lab (a bath doesn't faze the scent in the summertime) and lots of garlicky-oniony-peppery cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment